Special Admissions Information for Health Sciences Programs: Students seeking admission to one of the Health Sciences Programs should be aware that there are several additional procedures and policies. Some Health Sciences Programs are designated “limited entry,” meaning that class sizes are limited. Prospective students must submit an application to the Limited Entry Office and be selected to a program in order to register for classes in limited entry programs. Information on admissions, selection procedures and application deadlines is available through the Health Programs Advising Offices, located on the Charleston Campus in the lobby of Building K, North Las Vegas campus in Building N, Room 212, and Henderson campus in Building B, Room 136. Students must attend a Health Programs orientation to obtain detailed information on the limited entry application process and programs. There are also specific immunization, drug testing, and background check requirements for these programs.
Limited entry programs include:
- Cardiorespiratory Sciences, AAS [CARD-AAS, 81 Total Credits]
- Cardiorespiratory Sciences, BAS [CRS-BAS, 120 Total Credits]
- Dental Assisting, CA [DA-CT, 33 Total Credits]
- Dental Hygiene, AS [DH-AS, 88 Total Credits]
- Dental Hygiene: Education Specialist, BS [DHEDUS-BS, 120 Total Credits]
- Dental Hygiene: Public Health Specialist, BS [DHPHS-BS, 120 Total Credits]
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography: Cardiac/Vascular Ultrasound Track, AAS [SONCCARAAS, 92 Total Credits]
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography: General/Vascular Ultrasound Track, AAS [SONGVASAAS, 93 Total Credits]
- Health Information Technology, AAS [HIT-AAS, 67 Total Credits]
- Medical Assisting, CA [MA-CT, 41 Credits]
- Medical Coding, CA [MEDCOD-CT, 44 Total Credits]
- Medical Laboratory Scientist, BAS [MLS-BAS, 120 Total Credits]
- Medical Laboratory Technician, AAS [MLTECH-AAS, 66 Total Credits]
- Medical Transcription, CA [MEDTRAN-CT, 31 Credits]
- Ophthalmic Technology: Ophthalmic Dispensing Technician, AAS [OPHT-AAS, 68 Total Credits]
- Practical Nursing - Military Medic/Corpsman to LPN, CA [PRNMMC-CT, 34 Total Credits]
- Nursing, AAS [NUR-AAS, 69 Total Credits]
- Nursing: LPN to RN, AAS [NURRN-AAS, 69 Total Credits]
- Physical Therapist Assistant, AAS [PT-AAS, 72 Total Credits]
- Practical Nursing, CA [PRN-CT, 36 Total Credits]
- Radiation Therapy Technology, AAS [RADTHR-AAS, 82 Total Credits]
- Surgical Technology, AAS [SURG-AAS, 64.5 Total Credits]
- Veterinary Nursing, AAS [VETN-AAS, 74 Total Credits]
Special Costs for Health Sciences Programs
There are special costs associated with admission and matriculation in some Health Sciences programs. For example, an instrument deposit is required for the Dental Hygiene program. Students whose program requirements include clinical assignments at local health care facilities are required to carry health insurance. Some facilities require that students have a Sheriff’s Card prior to beginning their clinical experience. Contact the Health Professions Advisor on the Charleston, North Las Vegas, or Henderson campus for current information on special requirements.
Immunizations and Other Special Requirements
A student enrolled in any of the following programs is a potential candidate for the special requirements policy, depending on the particular course of study. Consult with the program director or advisor for specific program requirements and deadlines.
- Cardiorespiratory Sciences
- Centeral Sterile Technician
- Contact Lens Technician
- Culinary Arts Management
- Dental Assisting: Clinical Emphasis
- Dental Hygiene
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Early Childhood Education
- Emergency Medical Technician and Advanced Emergency Medical Technician
- Health Information Technology
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Coding
- Medical Laboratory Scientist
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Medical Office Practices
- Medical Transcription
- Mental Health Services
- Military Medic/Corpsman to LPN
- Nursing (BSN)
- Nursing (RN)
- Nursing Assistant
- Ophthalmic Dispensing
- Optical Laboratory Technician
- Paramedic Medicine
- Patient Registration
- Pharmacy Technician
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Practical Nursing (PN)
- Radiation Therapy Technology
- Surgical Technologist
- Veterinary Technician
Nevada law and cooperative agreements with community partners requires the protection of students at high risk for exposure to vaccine-preventable diseases. Students in specific programs will be required to provide documentation of receipt of vaccination or proof of immunity through blood testing for any or all of the following:
- Hepatitis A via Health Card (Health Sciences, Culinary, Early Childhood Education)
- Hepatitis B
- Measles (rubeola), Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
- Chicken Pox (Varicella)
- Rabies (Veterinary Technician)
Tuberculosis: Once accepted into a healthcare program, the student is required to show proof of no active pulmonary tuberculosis present.
Physical Examination: Once accepted into a healthcare program, the student is required to complete a physical examination.
Health Insurance: Once accepted into a healthcare program, the student is required to show proof of major medical health insurance coverage.
Drug Screen: Once accepted into a healthcare program, the student is required to test negative for drugs and alcohol via a drug screen.
Criminal Background Check: Once accepted into a healthcare program, the student is required to have a criminal background check completed.
CPR: Once accepted into a healthcare program, the student is required to maintain certification in Healthcare Provider CPR/AED training.