The Associate of Applied Science Degree in Engineering Technology with Electronics – Biomedical Equipment Technician prepares students to assist in providing support for engineering functions or to function as an Electronics Technician. Instruction includes analog and digital circuit design, implementation and testing, fabrication techniques, microprocessor programming and interface, medical terminology, healthcare organizational dynamics, and fluid dynamics.
This two-year program provides students with the methods and procedures used in engineering organizations and by electronics technicians in biomedical equipment repair functions. Instruction takes place in a hands-on, state-of-the-art environment.
Within a few years of graduation: Graduates from CSN’s Engineering Technology with Electronics – Biomedical Equipment Technician program will demonstrate the ability to apply circuit analysis and design, computer programming, analog and digital electronics, and microprocessor/microcontroller principles to install, test, troubleshoot and maintain electrical and electronic systems as biomedical equipment technicians. Graduates will have effective technical communication skills necessary to function on professional teams as technicians or managers. Graduates are prepared to enter the work force with professional work ethics and with the commitment to lifelong learning, quality, and continuous improvement through the clear ability to assume increasing levels of responsibility in both industry and community.
Accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Demonstrate knowledge of safety procedures and proper electronics fabrication techniques.
- Identify components, design, construct, and test various circuits to include filters and construct a Bode Plot of an amplifier’s frequency response.
- Construct, analyze, and test various types of digital circuits and microprocessor/microcontroller circuits. Demonstrate a working knowledge writing programs to control other devices.
- Demonstrate commitment to quality, timeliness, continuous improvement, professional ethics, and respect for diversity while showing an understanding of the need for and an ability to engage in continuing professional development.
- Characterize the computers/networks used in the healthcare industry, demonstrate an ability to explain fluid dynamics, common medical terminology, health-care dynamics, and the fundamentals functional characteristics of the human body.