Aug 18, 2019
This degree is designed to provide for the first two years of college preparation for students wanting to become elementary education teachers and/or who plan to become a paraprofessional (Instructional Aide).
STUDENT LEARNING OTUCOMES
Apply the dimensions of multicultural education to support appropriate pedagogical practices for teaching diverse students in Elementary Education.
Select technology tools for integration across the curriculum in Elementary Education.
Synthesize the major theoretical perspectives and methods of educational psychology to teaching, learning, and schooling in Elementary Education.
Choose formative and summative techniques for evaluation and modification with group and individual instruction and learning strategies in Elementary Education.
Evaluate the historical, legal, and philosophical foundations and issues related to contemporary elementary education.
General Education Requirements (32 Credits)
Mathematics (3 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level MATH course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
English Composition (6-8 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level ENG course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
Analytical Reasoning (3 Credits)
Natural Science (10 Credits)
Humanities (7 Credits)
- COM 101 - Oral Communication
- or ENG 223 - Themes of Literature or above
- or any HIST prefix course
- or PHIL 101 - Introduction to Philosophy
- or PHIL 119 - Introduction to the Old Testament
- or PHIL 129 - Introduction to the New Testament
- or PHIL 201 - Philosophy Goes to the Movies
- or PHIL 202 - Introduction to Philosophy of the Arts
- or PHIL 203 - Survey of Existentialism
- or World Languages 111 or above (this includes the following course prefixes: ARA, ARM, CHI, FIL, FREN, GER, ITAL, JPN, KOR, LAT, PORT, RUS, SPAN, and THAI)
Social Science (3 Credits)
Values and Diversity
All students MUST fulfill this requirement. Course chosen may also be used to fulfill the corresponding general education or special program requirements.
Recommended: EDU 280
Special Program Requirements (28 Credits)
Core Requirements (15 Credits)
U.S. and Nevada Constitutions (4-6 Credits)
Program Electives (6 Credits)
Select courses appropriate to the Elementary Education Major in conjunction with transfer institution requirements. See an academic advisor/counselor for course selection.
- Recommended: EDU 280 ; ECE 260 ; CHEM 106 (lab); GEOG 104 (lab); World Languages 112 or above (this includes the following prefixes: ARA, CHI, FIL, FREN, GER, ITAL, JPN, KOR, LAT, PORT, RUS, and SPAN.