The degree provides students with the necessary skills to assist in the planning, design, troubleshooting, and maintenance of various devices such as ATMs, kiosks, slot machines, and related devices. Instruction includes network management systems such as player tracking/slot management systems or ATM Network Monitoring systems. The appropriate regulations, such as slot machines, related gaming regulations or ATM related banking regulations will be covered in each concentration. Key common and specialized components and sub-assemblies of these devices will be covered. For example, some of these components and sub-assemblies are random number generators, opto-couplers, coin comparators, dollar bill acceptors, and printers. Computers and networks that use these devices and slot machine gaming are addressed. This two-year program provides the student with the repair methods and procedures used in the industries supported by each concentration. Instruction takes place in a hands-on state-of-the-art environment.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the theory of operation of typical self-serve devices such as electronic slot machines, ATMs, and/or Kiosks; Pseudo Random Number Generators; ROM, PROM, EPROM, EEPROM and RAM; and stepper motors.
- Describe the operation of typical peripheral devices; the external features; the money handling assemblies; the modes of operation in devices such as the slot machine, ATMs, and/or Kiosks.
- Identify electronic circuits and components used in these devices.
- Demonstrate positive work ethics and interpersonal skills in a group environment and to deliver written and oral project reports.
- Characterize and troubleshoot the installation and operation of networks that support devices such as slot machines and computers.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of personal computers and the embedded computers found in slot machines.
- Show an ability to independently analyze, troubleshoot, repair, construct, and/or design slot machines or other self-service devices.