2021-2022 Catalog and Student Handbook 
    Jul 13, 2024  
2021-2022 Catalog and Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Transfer Student Information

Transfer and Articulation Partnerships

The College of Southern Nevada provides a broad range of courses, which fulfill the requirements of an associate degree, and the first two years of a baccalaureate degree aimed at preparing students to transfer to a four-year college and/or university. Students planning to transfer to a four-year institution should speak to an academic counselor/advisor to receive assistance with course selection appropriate to chosen degree paths. The Transfer Center Coordinators can be reached at: transfercenter@csn.edu.

CSN has established transfer and articulation partnerships throughout the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) and a variety of other private, public, and out-of-state institutions. Please note: This is for current CSN students wishing to transfer and/or articulate to these institutions.

Current partnership agreements exist with:

  • Great Basin College – GBC
  • Nevada State College – NSC
  • Truckee Meadows Community College – TMCC
  • University of Nevada, Las Vegas – UNLV
  • University of Nevada, Reno – UNR
  • Western Nevada College – WNC

Private and Out-of-State Institutions:

  • Art Institute of Las Vegas – AILV
  • Bridge Valley CTC – BVCTC
  • Capella University – CU
  • Chamberlain College of Nursing – CCN
  • Champlain College – BS Computer Forensics & Digital Investigations – CC
  • DeVry University-Engineer Technology Degrees – DVU
  • Eastern New Mexico University – Paramedic Medicine Program – ENMU
  • Grand Canyon University – GCU
  • Kaplan University – KU
  • Lincoln Christian University – Las Vegas Extension – LCU
  • National University – NU
  • Niagara University – NU
  • Nova Southeastern University – Education Programs – NSU
  • Regis University – Online only
  • Sierra Nevada College – SNC
  • Southern Illinois University, Carbondale – Fire Science Technology Program – SIUC
  • Southern Utah University SUU
  • Strayer University – SU
  • St. Rose Dominican Hospital College- Careers Coding Program- STR
  • Touro University- School of Nursing – TOURO
  • University of Cincinnati – UC
  • University of Maryland University College – UMUC
  • University of Phoenix – UOP
  • Utah Valley University – UVU
  • Utica College – UC
  • Western Governors University – WGU

Transferring To Another Institution

Many CSN students transfer to a university or four-year college. Students can order official transcripts by various methods:

Four-Year School Transfer Services

After the completion of an associate degree, the College of Southern Nevada encourages its graduates to transfer and pursue their bachelor’s degree at a four-year institution. CSN advising and academic counseling staff members assist students in exploring their next post-secondary options through the provision of resources, internet searches, recruiter visitation schedules, and information about semi-annual Transfer Fair events. Transfer resources also include agreements/articulations between CSN and selected institutions. For more information, please visit https://www.csn.edu/advising/transfer.

Transferring From Another Institution

Transfer students may request that all previously attended schools, colleges and universities send official copies of their transcripts to the Office of the Registrar. CSN only accepts transfer credits from regionally accredited institutions. The accreditation of the institution and the listing published in the AACRAO Transfer Credit Practices for the year in which the applicant attended a specific institution governs the acceptance of transfer credit. The number of credits awarded will be determined by the college rating and the guidelines that follow:

  • The Office of the Registrar evaluates transcripts from other institutions upon receipt and determines which credits may be applied towards a CSN degree or certificate. Students will be notified via email once the transcripts have been received.
  • Students must have an official transcript mailed or hand carried and unopened to the Office of the Registrar.
  • To meet graduation requirements, a transfer student must complete the appropriate 15 credit hours in residence for an Associate of Arts, Associate of Business and Associate of Science within the degree. Associate of Applied Science and Certificate of Achievement degrees require that the 15 in-residence requirements must be in the Special Program Requirement area.
  • Generally, a maximum of sixteen Non-Traditional Education (NTE) credits of can be applied toward the Bachelor of Science (BAS), Associate of General Studies (AGS), or Associate of Applied Science (AAS) and a maximum of eight NTE credits can be applied toward the Certificate of Achievement (CA). However, there is an opportunity to exceed the foregoing limit through application to and approval from the Vice President of Academic Affairs, in addition to the regular approval process.
  • Grades of D+, D, and D- cannot be used to fulfill major occupational area Special Program Requirements in Associate of Applied Science degrees or Certificate of Achievement.
  • Once all official transcripts have been received, allow up to four weeks for processing.
  • Students will be notified via email once the transfer credit evaluation is completed. The official evaluation report will be available on MyCSN under Transfer Credit Report.

Transfer Degrees

Students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university can earn the Associate of Arts, Associate of Business, or the Associate of Science degree. These degrees provide the first two years of a four-year degree. Any student transferring from the College of Southern Nevada with an Associate of Arts, Associate of Business, or an Associate of Science degree will have that degree counted as fulfilling UNLV’s general education requirements without the necessity for a course-by-course articulation.

Always see a counselor to outline a detailed degree plan of study and to obtain all current information on CSN degree requirements leading to graduation. See Transfer Students’ Rights and Responsibilities.


Transferring Within the Nevada System of Higher Education

Student Rights

Students have the right to:

  • Receive automatic fulfillment of lower-division general education requirements at the universities, state college, and community colleges that offer select baccalaureate degrees upon completion of an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, or an Associate of Business degree from a NSHE community college.
  • Access information from the community colleges, state college, and universities about their transfer admission requirements, including documents required for admission, housing, and information about the institution’s costs, financial aid, and student services.
  • Access information about the transfer of specific courses, credit hours, grades, and degree requirements. This includes information about transferring courses with grades below a C, courses students may have repeated, and credit previously granted by examination.
  • Access and receive admission and transfer-related decisions in writing (electronic or paper) specifically:
    • Acceptance by the community colleges (limited access programs only), state college, and the universities.
    • Evaluation of courses and credits accepted for transfer credit and their course equivalencies, if applicable.
  • Outline of transfer courses and requirements which the transferred courses or credits will satisfy for the degree or program sought.
    • Analysis of the number of semester credits required to complete a degree in the chosen major program of study.
    • The NSHE institution’s appeals process for transfer-related decisions.
  • Appeal any NSHE institution’s transfer-related decision. The appeal process will be developed and maintained by each NSHE institution and published on the institution’s website.
  • Elect to graduate under the course catalog graduation requirements under any of the following options, provided that the course catalog at the time of graduation is not more than six years old:
    • The course catalog of the year of enrollment in a baccalaureate level course/program at a NSHE community college (valid transfer contract may be required).
    • The course catalog of the year of transfer into a baccalaureate level program at the universities, state college, or community colleges that offer select baccalaureate degrees.
    • The course catalog of the year of graduation from a NSHE institution.

Warning: Changing majors may change the course catalog and graduation requirements, which may increase the time to degree completion.

Notice: Students have all the above rights and any others as summarized in the Summary of Board of Regents Transfer Policies. The summary can be accessed at the NSHE website at http://system.nevada.edu.

Student Responsibilities

Students have the responsibility to:

  • Understand the transfer policies and procedures of the institution they are considering for transfer. Students should seek information from the institution they are transferring to regarding core curriculum, prerequisites, major program requirements, degree requirements, admissions, financial aid, scholarships, housing, deadlines, restrictions, and other transfer-related criteria.
  • Complete all materials required for application and submit the application on or before the published deadlines.
  • Research how courses are applicable to degree and major requirements.
  • Understand that if they change their major, not all courses taken will necessarily apply to their new major.
  • Plan ahead and realize that appointments with advisors are necessary.
  • Understand that after a break in their enrollment, status as an admitted student may be affected.

NSHE Institution Responsibilities

NSHE Institutions will:

  • Make transfer-related policies and procedures available on their websites.
  • Make answers to frequently asked questions about transfer issues accessible for students and provide opportunities for appropriate follow-up appointments to students.
  • Provide information on the approximate costs of attending the institution, including tuition, books and supplies, housing, and other related fees.
  • Relay admission and transfer-related decisions to students in writing (electronic or paper); including information about the student’s appeal rights.
  • Establish and make available upon request internal appeals processes to review transfer-related issues and decisions.
  • Engage in continuous, authentic dialogue among NSHE institutions about transfer-related issues with the purpose of solving the challenges before they negatively impact students.