Jun 06, 2023
ANTH 216 - Cultures Through Film
An exploration of societies, cultures and cultural anthropology through film. Ethnographic and documentary films are shown.
Student Learning Outcomes
Define the concept of culture, cultural relativism, and ethnocentrism.
- Define the anthropological concepts examined such as, but not limited to kinship, marriage, religion, ritual, politics, political organization, symbolic systems, language, law, race, ethnicity, colonialism, culture change, etc.
- Discuss film as a medium for exploring representational issues and cross-cultural understanding.
- Discuss the role of film in anthropological fieldwork and anthropological understanding.
- Discuss gender (or sex) roles in the societies considered.
- Describe the cultures portrayed in the films.
- Discuss similarities and differences between the cultures shown in the films.
- Identify cultural symbols embodied in the films and discuss their import.
- Discuss the aims and perspectives of cultural anthropology.
Graded: Letter Grade
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)