Dec 08, 2022
DA 108B - Introduction to Dental Assisting
Overview of the dental occupations, dental terminology, dental history, interpersonal relationships and employment requirements.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Pronounce, spell and define commonly used dental terms.
- Describe significant events of dental history.
- List noted contributors in the dental field.
- Identify members of the dental health team, the educational requirements of each and the duties they perform.
- Develop positive attitudes towards work and service to others and ethical responsibilities for dental team members, the dentist, the patient and each other.
- Develop cultural sensitivity and awareness within the workplace environment.
- List the duties the Nevada State Board of Dentistry allows dental assistants to perform.
- Recognize information that must legally be entered into a patient’s record.
- Develop positive communication and listening skills in a mock patient interview.
- Identify different personality disorders and the psychological requirements used to treat patients having such disorders. .
- Explain how patient psychology is applied to verbal and written communication with a patient to achieve desired outcomes.
- State the extra considerations that are required for a special patient.
- Prepare a personal resume and apply listening and verbal communication techniques in a mock interview .
- Describe the dental assistant’s role to communicate appropriately with the dentist, staff members, other associated individuals, and the patient.
Prerequisite: Admission to the Dental Assisting Program
Corequisite: DA 115B and DA 118B and DA 124B
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)