Dec 03, 2022
DH 107 - Legal and Ethical Implications in Dental Hygiene
Introduction to professional, legal, and ethical concepts in Dental Hygiene.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Analyze ethical problems using critical thinking and problem solving strategies
- Compare the history and origins of the dental hygiene profession to current professional standards
- Justify the point of view of others on ethical issues
- Defend the ethical principles, professional responsibilities, and legal duties relevant to dental hygiene
- Distinguish between ethical and legal issues.
- Determine the ethical standard and legal perspectives that, if implemented, would prevent malpractice and minimize professional liability.
- Justify the legal obligations for the dentist and dental hygienist regarding the duty of care owed to the client.
- Use public speaking, listening and perceiving skills to defend a specific course of action in a scenario that contains an ethical dilemma
- Use moral reasoning, argument, and judgment to defend a specific course of action in a scenario that contains an ethical dilemma.
- Select courses of action providing the least damaging consequences and greatest threat to the welfare of the client, dentist, profession and hygienist given situations of ethical difficulty related to dental hygiene practice.
- Explain current issues in dental hygiene.
- Compose a research paper utilizing the scientific method, including theory development, qualitative analysis, and use ethical legal behavior in the construction process.
- Explain the purpose, key concepts, basic beliefs, fundamentals principles, core values, and professional responsibilities of the American Dental Hygienists’ Association Code of Ethics
- Explain current issues in dental hygiene
Prerequisite: Admission to the Associate of Science Dental Hygiene Program
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)