Sep 24, 2022
DH 112 - Oral Radiology
A study of the theory of radiology, the techniques of film exposure, processing, mounting and interpretation. Radiation dosage and hazards as well as protection mechanisms for patient and operator are stressed.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Explain the purpose and necessity of dental radiographic imaging.
- Recognize the legal aspects of dental radiography with respect to liability and ownership of radiographs.
- Use correct radiographic terminology.
- Apply the principles of x-ray production to prepare dental radiographic images of high quality utilizing the bisecting angle and right angle techniques.
- Apply the principles of x-ray production to prepare dental radiographic images of high quality utilizing digital, manual and automatic processing procedures.
- Differentiate radiographic anatomical structures in the analysis and interpretation of radiographic images.
- Apply knowledge of anatomical landmarks to mount films in proper arrangement utilizing lingual and labial mounting methods.
- Apply the principles of radiation protection to maintain optimal health and safety of the patient and operator during x-radiation exposure.
- Distinguish the factors which affect the diagnostic usefulness and quality of finished radiographs.
- Analyze and correct errors in exposure and processing which occur on dental radiographic images.
- Assess the correct maintenance and care of the automatic processor and chemical safety.
- Assess the correct care and disinfection of x-ray equipment.
- Differentiate diseases of the teeth and supporting structures as revealed by dental radiographic images.
- Compare the advantages and disadvantages of the bisecting and right angle techniques.
- Apply the fundamentals of photography to prepare intra-oral and extra-oral photographs.
- Compare and contrast knowledge of extra-oral, pedodontic, and edentulous survey techniques.
- Analyze principles of panoramic dental radiography.
- Consider patient management techniques.
Prerequisite: Admission to the Associate of Science Dental Hygiene Program
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)