Sep 30, 2023
CHEM 103 - Preparatory Chemistry
Serves as a preparation for CHEM 121 - General Chemistry I . Introduces general principles and terminology in chemistry to students with poor chemistry backgrounds. Exercises aimed at developing problem solving skills. Students should have taken or have concurrent enrollment in MATH 126 or MATH 126E or higher to prepare for CHEM 121.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Use I.U.P.A.C nomenclature rules for the naming of inorganic compounds.
- Write and balance common reactions of inorganic chemistry.
- Analyze data and formulate equations for deducing the solutions to stoichiometric problems.
- Learn how to predict period trends of the elements.
- Identify the properties and roles of the electrons, neutrons and protons in atomic structure.
- Gain a familiarity with the math and units needed to solve problems in Chemistry classes.
- Learn and apply the mole concept to chemical problems.
- Develop skills in using the periodic chart for problem solving.
- Develop an understanding of the three physical states of matter and their importance to chemistry.
- Familiarize the student with the gas laws, their implications and uses.
Prerequisite: MATH 96 or MATH 124 or MATH 124E or higher
Graded: Letter Grade
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)