Sep 30, 2023
CHEM 110 - Chemistry for Health Sciences I
Survey of general chemistry designed for Allied Health majors and non-science majors. Emphasis on the foundation needed for the study of organic and biochemistry.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Use the metric system, significant figures and scientific notation in laboratory measurements and problem solving.
- Identify the properties and roles of the electrons, protons and neutrons in atomic structure and in the development of the periodic table.
- Identify chemical and physical properties of elements, compounds and solutions.
- Write and balance chemical reactions and do mole to mole conversions in stoichiometry problems.
- Use standardized nomenclature rules for the naming of chemical compounds.
- Define and describe acids and bases, pH, buffers and titration problems.
- Explain the Kinetic Theory of Gases and solve problems using Gas Law equations.
- Explain the characteristics of solutions, colloids and dispersions and calculate molarity and percent concentration of mixtures.
- Perform basic laboratory procedures.
Prerequisite: MATH 120 or MATH 120E or MATH 124 or MATH 124E or above
Graded: Letter Grade
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)