Nov 28, 2021
2021-2022 Catalog and Student Handbook
English, AA [ENG-AA, 60 Total Credits]
The Associate of Arts Degree with an English Emphasis helps students develop and apply critical thinking, analytical writing, and communication skills. Students who complete these degree requirements will be prepared to transfer to a four-year institution.
Click the link to view the different maps for degree completion and transfer: Academic Maps: AA English
Student Learning Outcomes
- Address purpose, audience, and rhetorical situation.
- Produce writing that demonstrates academic reading skills.
- Use a process approach to compose well-developed, research-based essays.
- Create an argumentative and/or exploratory thesis supported by textual evidence.
- Locate, evaluate, and integrate information sources.
- Summarize, analyze, synthesize, apply, and document source material.
- Control conventions of language, mechanics, and MLA format.
- Use critical reading and writing skills to engage and analyze literary texts.
- Demonstrate ability to connect literary works.
- Demonstrate ability to contextualize literary works.
General Education Requirements (33 Credits)
Mathematics (3 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level MATH course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
English Composition (6-8 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level ENG course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
Analytical Reasoning (3 Credits)
Natural Science (7 Credits)
Choose two courses; one must include a lab.
Humanities (7 Credits)
- COM 101 - Oral Communication
- and World Languages 111 or above (includes the following course prefixes: ARA, ARM, CHI, FIL, FREN, GER, ITAL, JPN, KOR, LAT, PORT, RUS, SPAN, and THAI)
Social Science (3 Credits)
U.S. and Nevada Constitutions (4 Credits)
Values and Diversity
All students MUST fulfill this requirement. Course chosen may also be used to fulfill the corresponding general education or special program requirements.
Special Program Requirements (27 Credits)
Core Requirements (14 Credits)
English Electives (6 Credits)
General Electives (4 credits)
- See a Counselor or Advisor to choose four (4) transferable credits