Jun 07, 2023
CODE: CRJ-AAS | TOTAL CREDITS: 60 | FINANCIAL AID ELIGIBILITY: Eligible
The AAS degree in Criminal Justice is intended to provide students with the skills, abilities, and knowledge needed in order to become criminal justice practitioners or to transfer to other institutions to continue their education. The degree addresses both the legal and professional aspects of the criminal justice system while integrating crime control and identifying factors that contribute to deviant behavior. The program prepares students seeking entry level employment within the field of criminal justice.
Academic Map: AAS Criminal Justice
Student Learning Outcomes
- Summarize the three components (police, corrections, and the courts) of the criminal justice system and the workings of these institutions in society.
- Compare and contrast society’s concept of justice with the limitations of the criminal justice system.
- Analyze the overall problem of crime in the United States, including different types of crimes.
- Evaluate current issues related to crime prevention and rehabilitation of offenders.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills applicable in the fields of law enforcement, corrections, or criminal law.
General Education Requirements
TOTAL GENERAL EDUCATION CREDITS: 22
Mathematics (3 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level MATH course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
English Composition (3-5 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level ENG course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
Communications (3 Credits)
Human Relations (3 Credits)
Natural Science (3 Credits)
Fine Arts/Humanities/Social Science (3 Credits)
- any AM prefix course
- or any ANTH prefix course (except ANTH 102 and ANTH 110L)
- or any ART prefix course
- or any COM prefix course
- or DAN 101 - Dance Appreciation
- or any ECON prefix course
- or ENG 223 - Themes of Literature or above
- or GEOG 106 - Introduction to Cultural Geography
- or any HIST prefix course
- or any MUS prefix course (except MUS 100)
- or any THTR prefix course (except THTR 275)
- or World Languages 101B or above (this includes the following course prefixes: ARA, ARM, CHI, FIL, FREN, GER, GRE, ITAL, JPN, KOR, LAT, PORT, RUS, SPAN, and THAI)
U.S. and Nevada Constitutions (4-6 Credits)
Special Program Requirements
TOTAL SPECIAL PROGRAM CREDITS: 38
Core Requirements (21 Credits)
Electives (17 Credits)
any CRJ prefix course not already used to satisfy this degree.