Jun 03, 2023
CODE: MUS-AA | TOTAL CREDITS: 60 | FINANCIAL AID ELIGIBILITY: Eligible
Designed to prepare the music student with real world experience in the fundamentals of music. Theory, literature, performance opportunities, general studies and one-on-one instruction are all geared towards providing the first 2 years experience to music students interested in following the path towards a career in music education, performance or any number of opportunities.
Academic Maps: AA Music
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate fluency in the written language of music, including the ability to read and write in multiple clefs, recognize and construct various musical devices including chords, scales, intervals, rhythms, and harmonization in traditional and contemporary styles.
- Demonstrate literacy in the historical styles of music, including the ability to recognize Western musical forms and styles from the Middle Ages through the twentieth century.
- Acquire broad experience in applied music, through piano proficiency examinations, private instruction on voice or an instrument, and required ensemble participation.
- Demonstrate expanded knowledge of diversity and technology, issues which have significant impact upon the ever-changing fields of music history, theory, and performance.
General Education Requirements
TOTAL GENERAL EDUCATION CREDITS: 32
Mathematics (3 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level MATH course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
Recommended: MATH 120 or 120E.
English Composition (6-8 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level ENG course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
Analytical Reasoning (3 Credits)
Recommended: PHIL 102.
Natural Science (7 Credits)
Choose two courses; one must include a lab.
Social Science (3 Credits)
U.S. and Nevada Constitutions (4 Credits)
General Education Elective Requirement (6 Credits)
Students should choose the electives to complete based on the NSHE Institution and degree option they plan to transfer to. Please see the section at the end of this degree page for this information.
- MUS 131 - Introduction to Music Literature
- or EDU 220 - Principles of Educational Psychology
- or EDU 280 - Valuing Cultural Diversity
- or ENG 231 - World Literature I
- or ENG 232 - World Literature II
- or World Languages 111 or above course (includes the following course prefixes: ARA, ARM, CHI, FIL, FREN, GER, GRE, ITAL, JPN, KOR, LAT, PORT, RUS, SPAN, and THAI)
Values and Diversity
All students MUST fulfill this requirement. Course chosen may also be used to fulfill the corresponding general education or special program requirements.
Recommended: ENG 231 or ENG 232 or EDU 280.
Special Program Requirements
TOTAL SPECIAL PROGRAM CREDITS: 28
Students need to take the similar numbered E/F courses in the same semester (for example MUS 201E and 201F in the same semester). Additionally, four (4) semesters of MUS 100 Concert Attendance is required.
Music Core Requirements (12 Credits)
Private Lessons (8 Credits)
Private Lessons (MUSA 101-146, MUSA 201-246)
Ensemble (4 Credits)
Ensemble (MUSE 101-166)
Piano Requirement (4 Credits)
Students must receive a letter grade of B or higher in MUS 109, MUS 110, MUS 209, and MUS 210 in order to bypass an individual piano proficiency exam at the completion of MUS 210. Additionally, MUS 210 and MUS 167 MUST be taken concurrently.
General Education Elective Requirement Transfer Options
Students should choose the electives to complete based on the NSHE Institution and degree option they plan to transfer into.
- BA Education (Music Education) complete EDU 220 and 280.
- BA Music (Composition/Instrumental) complete MUS 131 and either ENG 231 or 232.
- BA Music (Composition/Piano) complete MUS 131 and either ENG 231 or 232.
- BA Music (Composition/Vocal) complete MUS 131 or ENG 231 or ENG 232 or a World Languages Course. Recommended: MUS 131 and a World Languages Course.
- BA Music (Music Education/Instrumental) complete EDU 280 and either ENG 231 or 232.
- BA Music (Music Education/Vocal) complete 6 credits of World Languages courses.
- BA Music (Performance/Instrumental) complete MUS 131 and either ENG 231 or 232.
- BA Music (Performance/Piano) complete MUS 131 and either ENG 231 or 232.
- BA Music (Performance/Vocal) complete MUS 131 or ENG 231 or ENG 232 or a World Languages Course. Recommended: MUS 131 and a World Languages Course.
- BA Music (No Concentration) complete 6 credits of World Languages courses.
- BA Music (Applied Instrumental Performance) complete MUS 131 and a World Languages course.
- BA Music (Applied Jazz) complete MUS 131 and either ENG 231 or 232.
- BA Music (Applied Voice) complete 6 credits of World Languages course