Sep 25, 2023
GEOL 101 - Geology: Exploring Planet Earth
Fundamentals of geology including mineral and rock origins through various earth processes. Laboratories include rock identification and interpretation of topographic and geologic maps. Required weekend field trips.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Recognize, analyze, record and interpret material in an orderly concise format, based on the Scientific Method.
- Identify common rock forming minerals with the aid of physical properties.
- Identify common igneous rocks and explain the general processes necessary for their formation.
- Identify common sedimentary rocks and explain the general processes necessary for their formation.
- Identify common metamorphic rocks and explain the general processes necessary for their formation.
- Recognize and explain the basis of Geologic Time.
- Explain the principles used in worldwide correlation of rock formations.
- Evaluate the ages of rock formations based on stratigraphic principles.
- Explain erosion, transportation and deposition within fundamental geologic processes on the Earth’s surface including River, Mass Wastage, Groundwater, Glacial and Desert.
- Recognize and graphically interpret common landform features produced by erosion and deposition.
- Explain and interpret structural and seismic processes.
- Describe general geologic landforms associated with orogenic events.
- Understand the general Theory of Plate Tectonics.
- Relate the Plate Tectonics Theory to general geologic provinces.
- Describe regional geologic formations and their geologic history.
- Analyze and interpret topographic and geologic maps.
Graded: Letter Grade
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)