Sep 21, 2023
CODE: CRJ-AA | TOTAL CREDITS: 60 | FINANCIAL AID ELIGIBILITY: Eligible
The Associate of Arts Degree in Criminal Justice provides a broad overview of the criminal justice system, its subsystems, and the roles of the participants therein. It provides a comprehensive overview of criminal law and procedure, law enforcement ethics, and criminology. Students will choose additional elective credits in corrections, juvenile justice, forensics and other interdisciplinary topics. This degree may be used for transfer to a four-year academic institution or may serve as a qualification for public safety or social service positions.
Academic Maps: AA Criminal Justice
Student Learning Outcomes
- Explain the history and nature of the major components of the criminal justice system: police, courts, and corrections.
- Outline the basis of decision-making in the criminal justice process and important constitutional issues.
- Differentiate criminal law from other forms of law.
- Analyze the overall problem of crime in the United States, including different types of crimes, and identify current issues related to criminal prosecution and rehabilitation of offenders.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills applicable in the fields of law enforcement, corrections, or criminal law.
General Education Requirements
TOTAL GENERAL EDUCATION CREDITS: 33
Mathematics (3 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level MATH course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
English Composition (6-8 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level ENG course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
Analytical Reasoning (3 Credits)
Natural Science (7 Credits)
Two courses from the following, one must include a lab.
U.S. and Nevada Constitutions (4-6 Credits)
Values and Diversity
All students MUST fulfill this requirement. Course chosen may also be used to fulfill the corresponding general education or special program requirements.
Recommended: PSY 101
Special Program Requirements
TOTAL SPECIAL PROGRAM CREDITS: 27
Core Requirements (3 Credits)
Special Program Electives (12 Credits)
Recommended: CRJ electives for transfer to NSHE 4-year schools.
Fine Arts Requirement (3 Credits)
Social Science Requirement (6 Credits)
General Elective (3 Credits)
If UNLV or NSC transfer, may take any CRJ course except CRJ 290 and CRJ B-designated courses or a course already completed within the degree.
- See an Academic Advisor or Counselor for course selection