Sep 21, 2023
CODE: SEDUC-AA | TOTAL CREDITS: 60 | FINANCIAL AID ELIGIBILITY: Eligible
This degree is designed to provide for the first two years of college preparation for students wanting to become secondary education teachers, and/or who plan to become a paraprofessional (Instructional Aide).
Academic Maps: AA Secondary Education
Student Learning Outcomes
- Apply the dimensions of multicultural education to support appropriate pedagogical practices for teaching diverse students in Secondary Education.
- Select technology tools for integration across the curriculum in Secondary Education.
- Synthesize the major theoretical perspectives and methods of educational psychology to teaching, learning, and schooling in Secondary Education.
- Choose formative and summative techniques for evaluation and modification with group and individual instruction and learning strategies in Secondary Education.
- Evaluate the historical, legal, and philosophical foundations and issues related to contemporary Secondary Education.
General Education Requirements
TOTAL GENERAL EDUCATION CREDITS: 32
Mathematics (3 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level MATH course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
English Composition (6-8 credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level ENG course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
Analytical Reasoning (3 Credits)
Natural Science (7 Credits)
Two courses from the following, one must include a lab.
Humanities (7 Credits)
Recommended: SPAN 111.
- COM 101 - Oral Communication
- and World Languages 111 or above (this includes the following course prefixes: ARA, ARM, CHI, FIL, FREN, GER, GRE, ITAL, JPN, KOR, LAT, PORT, RUS, SPAN, and THAI).
Social Science (6 Credits)
Minimum of 6 credits from two different disciplines.
Recommended: PSY 201
Values and Diversity
All students MUST fulfill this requirement. Course chosen may also be used to fulfill the corresponding general education or special program requirements.
Special Program Requirements
TOTAL SPECIAL PROGRAM CREDITS: 28
Core Requirements (12 Credits)
Major Elective Requirements (9 Credits)
- Select courses appropriate to the Secondary Education Concentration in conjunction with transfer institution requirements. See an Academic Advisor or Counselor for course selection.
U.S. and Nevada Constitutions (4-6 credits)