Jan 28, 2023
CODE: CRJLET-AAS | TOTAL CREDITS: 61 | FINANCIAL AID ELIGIBILITY: NOT eligible
This degree in Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement Training Academy (LETA) prepares students for a career as a peace officer with Nevada law enforcement agencies, as prescribed by the State of Nevada, Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission (POST). Testing methodology is structured for an active learning environment which includes written examinations, interactive scenarios, and examination of case studies. Applicants must pass a written examination, oral interview, physical agility test, physical examination, psychological examination, polygraph examination, and possess both a Nevada permit to carry a concealed weapon, as well as a Nevada state driver’s license. Students accepted into the Academy are required to pay a $375.00 program fee.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Employ oral and written communication skills as required by individual law enforcement agencies.
- Distinguish among the Nevada Revised Statutes and propose the appropriate circumstances for charging specific criminal statutes.
- Interpret the U.S. Constitution, Nevada Law, and case law as it relates to specific search and seizure issues.
- Employ proper firing techniques in use of firearms.
- Demonstrate the prescribed use of force in defensive tactics and arrest procedures.
- Acquire proficiency in physical agility activities as indicated in Nevada POST state regulations.
General Education Requirements
TOTAL GENERAL EDUCATION CREDITS: 22
Mathematics (3 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level MATH course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
English Composition (3-5 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level ENG course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
Communications (3 Credits)
Human Relations (3 Credits)
Natural Science (3 Credits)
Fine Arts/Humanities/Social Science (3 Credits)
- any AM prefix course
- or any ANTH prefix course (except ANTH 102 and ANTH 110L)
- or any ART prefix course
- or any COM prefix course
- or DAN 101 - Dance Appreciation
- or any ECON prefix course
- or ENG 223 - Themes of Literature or above
- or GEOG 106 - Introduction to Cultural Geography
- or any HIST prefix course
- or any MUS prefix course (except MUS 100)
- or any PHIL prefix course
- or any PSC prefix course
- or any PSY prefix course
- or any SOC prefix course
- or any THTR prefix course (except 275)
- or WMST 113 - Gender, Race, and Class
- or World Languages 101B or above (this includes the following course prefixes: ARA, ARM, CHI, FIL, FREN, GER, GRE, ITAL, JPN, KOR, LAT, PORT, RUS, SPAN, and THAI)
U.S. and Nevada Constitutions (4-6 Credits)
Special Program Requirements
TOTAL SPECIAL PROGRAM CREDITS: 39