Aug 19, 2022
CODE: SOC-AA | TOTAL CREDITS: 60 | FINANCIAL AID ELIGIBILITY: Eligible
The Associate of Arts Degree with an Emphasis in Sociology offers basic skills in critical thinking, data analysis, writing, and oral communication to career oriented students and those preparing for advanced undergraduate study in sociology.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Investigate individual and collective experiences of social life using the theoretical and methodological tools of sociology.
- Synthesize information from trends within sociology concerning culture, social structure, cultural diversity, and social inequality.
- Evaluate research findings in sociology by examining methods of sampling, measurement, data collection, analysis and interpretation, as well as ethical considerations in the research process.
- Formulate research questions, explanations or policy recommendations based on major sociological perspectives that address problems of behavior and interaction, social structure and social change.
- Evaluate viable career choices in the application of sociological concepts, theory, and methods directed at improving social life.
General Education Requirements
TOTAL GENERAL EDUCATION CREDITS: 35
Mathematics (3 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level MATH course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
English Composition (6-8 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level ENG course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
Analytical Reasoning (3 Credits)
Natural Science (7 Credits)
Two courses from the following, one must include a lab.
U.S. and Nevada Constitutions (4-6 Credits)
Values and Diversity
All students MUST fulfill this requirement. Course chosen may also be used to fulfill the corresponding general education or special program requirements.
Special Program Requirements
TOTAL SPECIAL PROGRAM CREDITS: 25
Core Requirements (16 Credits)
Electives (6 Credits)
- Choose any SOC prefix courses not used to complete another area of this degree.
Social Science Electives (3 Credits)