Mar 31, 2023
CODE: ELEM-AA | TOTAL CREDITS: 60 | FINANCIAL AID ELIGIBILITY: Eligible
This degree is designed to provide for the first two years of college preparation for students wanting to become elementary education teachers and/or who plan to become a paraprofessional (Instructional Aide).
Student Learning Outcomes
- Apply the dimensions of multicultural education to support appropriate pedagogical practices for teaching diverse students in Elementary Education.
- Select technology tools for integration across the curriculum in Elementary Education.
- Synthesize the major theoretical perspectives and methods of educational psychology to teaching, learning, and schooling in Elementary Education.
- Choose formative and summative techniques for evaluation and modification with group and individual instruction and learning strategies in Elementary Education.
- Evaluate the historical, legal, and philosophical foundations and issues related to contemporary elementary education.
General Education Requirements
TOTAL GENERAL EDUCATION CREDITS: 32
Mathematics (3 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level MATH course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
- MATH 123 - Statistical and Geometrical Concepts for Elementary School Teachers
REMINDER: If a student does not place into the correct college-level MATH course, they are required to complete a preparatory or prerequisite course(s) or attempt to gain a higher score on the MATH placement exam. Such preparatory or prerequisite courses are not part of the degree, may delay degree completion, and will cause the student to complete more credits than the total listed on this degree.
English Composition (6-8 Credits)
NOTE: Your first college-level ENG course MUST be completed before reaching 30 total college-level credits.
Analytical Reasoning (3 Credits)
Natural Science (10 Credits)
Humanities (7 Credits)
- COM 101 - Oral Communication
and World Languages 111 or above (this includes the following course prefixes: ARA, ARM, CHI, FIL, FREN, GER, ITAL, JPN, KOR, LAT, PORT, RUS, SPAN, and THAI)
Social Science (3 Credits)
Values and Diversity
All students MUST fulfill this requirement. Course chosen may also be used to fulfill the corresponding general education or special program requirements. EDU 280 fulfills this requirement.
Special Program Requirements
TOTAL SPECIAL PROGRAM CREDITS: 28
Core Requirements (15 Credits)
U.S. and Nevada Constitutions (4-6 Credits)
Program Electives (6 Credits)
Select courses appropriate to the Elementary Education Major in conjunction with transfer institution requirements. See an academic advisor/counselor for course selection.
- Recommended:EDU 280 (also satisfies Values and Diversity Requirement); ECE 260 ; CHEM 106 (lab); GEOG 104 (lab); World Languages 112 or above (this includes the following prefixes: ARA, CHI, FIL, FREN, GER, ITAL, JPN, KOR, LAT, PORT, RUS, and SPAN).